Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Interview in 1984 with a DJ Blanche Tang (Tang Oi Lam) at RTHK

Translated by Devoted Fan

Day 1 of Interview

Host: Today we have my good friend here with us, Cheung Kwok Wing.

Host: I have known Cheung Kwok Wing for about 7 to 8 years now. When I first met Leslie, my impression of him was that of a very lively, upbeat and happy kid. When we talked, he would often laugh heartily or have exaggerated body language. But after many years of not seeing him, my impression of him these days is completely different. These days Leslie brings a gentle, quiet and mature disposition. He is very careful and refined with what he says. He has lost that exaggerated body language, but has gained something which many of us have come to know as a ‘sense of melancholy’.

Host: I think most people still remember the first time they heard of Cheung Kwok Wing. It was during your Asian Amateur singing contest at RTV.

Leslie: It was during an Asian Amateur singing contest. I was wearing my little red boots and bouncing around on stage singing ‘American Pie’.

Host: At that time, what made you join the singing contest?

Leslie: I was studying in England, but I didn’t finish my schooling yet. Then my dad got sick, so I returned home to Hong Kong. I guess when a person gets old, they are afraid of dying so my dad wanted me to stay. It was actually pretty disappointing, because I was awarded a scholarship at the time in textiles in England, but since I can’t return there, I had to linger on in Hong Kong. Then a friend of mine told me about a singing competition and since he knew I always liked to sing, he thought we should go and just have fun with it. I said ‘No, that’s okay but I will go with you and you can sign yourself up to enter the contest’. But my friend put in the $5 and signed me up too. At that time it was very inexpensive, just $5. I was able to stay in the competition and made it to the final round.

Host: Do you think fate played a role in it?

Leslie: Yes, fate played a very important role. If you look at all the courses I was studying, they had nothing to do with show business. If I really had an interest in show business, I would have studied Music when I was overseas, but that was not the case. In the end, there was no way of escaping my destiny to be in show business. (laughing)

Host: How old were you when you first left Hong Kong?

Leslie: I was 13 years old. I was really something. I only had one relative there. I flew to England on my own. I didn’t know the person who came to pick me up at the airport, he held up a sign so I could find him, it was like going on a blind date with someone holding up a photo. Something funny happened on my flight there. I remember that was my first time on a plane. I had no prior experience on a plane. I sat in the middle section of a jumbo 747 cargo plane. Because of financial reasons, back then most parents put their kids on chartered planes when they fly overseas. They figure there is no need for us, young students to travel so extravagantly, so most of us flew on chartered planes. I think the airline was called “Laker”. At the time, if you flew by chartered planes, ‘Laker’ was the most well known one. The person who sat next to me studied at ‘Sun Fat’ (a prestigious private school in HK) He was full of confidence because he was an experienced jetsetter, but I was so nervous with sweaty palms because we were so high up in the sky. Shortly after we boarded, the movie projector fell and made a loud noise, and four wires were dangling out and swinging around. Once our plane settled into the clouds, then the stewardess came over to fix it.

Host: Wow, it was very rickety.

Leslie: Yes

LESLIE’S SONG “THE DRUMMER” STARTS TO PLAY

Host: You left your parents and family at the age of 13 and went to England alone. What was the reason? Was it something your parents had always planned for you? Or was it your own idea?

Leslie: Well, when I was younger I was rather naughty in school. Other than my English class, I wasn’t very good with other subjects, especially Mathematics. My dad was worried that my math was so poor going into secondary school. And at that time, it was pretty popular to send your kids overseas for schooling, and it was considered very glorious back then, thinking back now, it’s almost ten years ago. (Leslie laughs). My dad asked me if I was interested in going to England, and I said ‘Okay’ so I send in my application and I got a response pretty fast. I remember well that was the year I had to repeat the same Form over because I failed math. That was the year Hong Kong switched from “old math” to “new math” (conversion to metric system). I was so lost. So when my dad found out I didn’t pass math and had to repeat the same grade over, he thought it wasn’t such a bad idea for me to study overseas for a few years, and I agreed. I received my failing report card in mid-July, and in mid-August I sent in my application to England, and by the end of August, I rushed off to England. I remember my first night there. The school felt so big. I was not in London. I was in Essex, which is very remote and rural. It was a boarding school. That first night no one had arrived yet, so I slept in a dormitory room alone with 16 beds. I didn’t get emotional, and I remember when I left Hong Kong I didn’t feel homesick either. At the airport, I said my goodbyes and left. You know how mothers are. My mom was crying as she was reminding me to study hard. The first time I felt homesick was two weeks after I arrived in England. I was on a train going to town with some friends. We sat in the last car, and as I watched the smoke flow out of the train, it was at that moment I realized how far away I was from home. And that was the first time I started to miss my family.

Host: Like you said, many Hong Kong parents believe if they send their kids overseas to get an education, when they return home, they will be all set. At such a young age, don’t you think there is a good chance they may turn into a juvenile delinquent?

Leslie: My mom and dad are fortunate because I didn’t turn into a juvenile delinquent. I remember I was very young when I got there, and so sometimes I was bullied by the seniors. My first year in England, I was a junior which is equivalent to lower 4th. It is a different system from U.S. and Canada where they go by Grades, not Forms. In England, it was lower 4th, followed by upper 4th and 5th form is O Level. I skipped a few forms when I got to England. If I had stayed in Hong Kong, I would have been in Form 1 but when I got to England, I skipped straight into the equivalent of Form 3/Form 4. When I got there, I had some problem with English but my math was okay. I didn’t turn into a delinquent, but instead I got a chance to see more of things, because I had to become self reliant, for example I had to buy my own train ticket to town. I learnt a lot about being independent. When I was in Hong Kong I didn’t play much sports, but in England I played soccer and rugby because these were compulsory in school.

Host: Cheung Kwok Wing comes from a family of 7 kids, and he is the youngest. Many friends know that prior to his retirement; Cheung Kwok Wing’s dad owned a tailor shop. He was well recognized in his field. Some of you may already know that Cheung Kwok Wing’s oldest sister, Cheung Luk Ping is an active member of the Consumer Affairs Committee. Leslie, how is your relationship with your family?

Leslie: It is very good. My relationship with her is very good; because I am the youngest, in their eyes, I will always be the baby in the family so even now that we are all grown up, I still talk to her on the telephone two or three times a week and sometimes we dine together or we go places together. In December, I will be holding my concert in Thailand. There is a good possibility that my whole family will come along too to show their support, and also to vacation there because the last time I went to Thailand, I discovered a place called ‘Phuket’, a beautiful place with mountain and water, so this time we will all go together to enjoy it.

Host: Wow! Just listening to you, Cheung Kwok Wing had a very good family and surrounding during your young days.

Leslie: Not really. It was just an upper middle-class family. It was not really that good.

SONG – ‘I WANT TO BREAK FREE’ STARTS TO PLAY

Host: There is a saying that when a person has good looks, that gives them a huge advantage in this world. Through many experimental studies in psychology, it has been proven to be the case. I think we all know in our hearts that there is no denying that Leslie Cheung definitely has some beautiful features. (Leslie laughs softly in the background). You are the youngest at home with many older brothers and sisters before you and I can just imagine a young Cheung Kwok Wing must have been very cute and handsome.

Leslie: I was chubby.

Host: (laughs) A chubby kid?

Leslie: I was a roly-poly.

Host: Do you feel that people all around you have always been exceptionally nice to you when you were growing up? For example, during your school days, were the teachers in school exceptionally nice to you? And when you have grown up people are also exceptionally nice towards you.

Leslie: Teachers?(he laughs) It depends on the subject. Like I said, my mathematics teacher must think I am very dumb, but generally speaking my English teachers really liked me because my essays usually get posted on the bulletin board. I like to exaggerate you know, when I was young, I like to exaggerate. Ahh…well, not really, sometimes good looks can be a disadvantage. When a guy is exceedingly good looking, people may not like it. Some people don’t like good-looking folks; probably because they are envious and jealous or perhaps this type of look is simply not their cup of tea; maybe they prefer the more rugged look. As for me, I would rather focus on the inner substance rather than the outward appearance because I feel that physical beauty can disappear very quickly anytime, but inner substance lasts forever, do you understand? For example, you can suppress me once, even twice but you can’t suppress me the third time if I honestly possess the talent and skills to get the work done, but with outward appearance, it just fades very quickly.

Host: The things you possess and develop in your inner self will stay with you forever.

Leslie: Yes.

Host: For example, when you first compete at the Asian Amateur singing contest and won a prize; wow, the people absolutely adored you. I remember on that night their applauses were simply overwhelming!

Leslie: Right, using our comparison between outward appearance and inner substance to discuss this, I felt at that time I simply did not have any substance within. Therefore after that overnight sensation, there was nothing left in the days that followed, everything faded away; the sparkle was gone.


Sure, people thought how cute and delightful this guy was bouncing around on stage, but in the days that followed many of the things I did were wrong and not so well received by the public as far as the trend went in those days. Some friends comforted me by saying that the things I did in those early days were too progressive; a bit too ahead of my time, but if I were to do those same things today, it would probably be more acceptable by the public. Another way of putting it was basically I simply did not have inner substance back then, so having gone through that one night of much cheers and adulation, afterwards some unpleasant consequences arose. There was a period of time when I was quite desolate but during that time I strove to enrich myself as much as possible. For instance, if you think I can’t sing, ok, so I will switch to acting, I’ll act in TV drama. Then I let a few years passed and waited for people to settle before I returned to singing. I suppose, possibly at that time my voice had yet to change but now my voice has changed, my voice is more mature so these days the albums that I released are more acceptable by everyone.

LESLIE’S SONG ‘WIND CONTINUES TO BLOW’ STARTS TO PLAY

Host: All along I have always felt that Cheung Kwok Wing is a legendary figure. Although he is young, much has happened to him. After that one night of instant fame at the 1977 Asian Amateur singing contest, Cheung Kwok Wing was suddenly treated with such cruelty by the audience. During this period of time, he continued to persevere bravely until today when he has completely won the acceptance of his audience. All these happened in the life of a young man. I don’t think every young person has this kind of experience. Join me tomorrow and the day after for more of my interview with Leslie Cheung.

Day 2 of Interview

Host: Today we have my good friend here with us, Cheung Kwok Wing.

Host: Cheung Kwok Wing, at the age of 13, left Hong Kong alone to study in England. He lived there for 5 1/2 years. During his stay in England, Leslie learnt how to be independent. In 1977 he took part in the Asian Amateur singing contest and from then on he was catapulted to stardom, but during the 7 years in the entertainment circle, Leslie has endured a lot of hardships but today as the saying goes ‘after the sufferings comes happiness’. Wow, the adjectives used here seem a bit melodramatic but it is true that Cheung Kwok Wing’s encounters were definitely dramatic.

Host: When you first participated in the Asian Amateur singing contest in 1977, wow, overnight you won the love and adulation of all the people in Hong Kong. I am thinking at that time, you were of such a tender age and it was your first taste of success and then suddenly after a while, there was this 360-degree turn, that same audience that applauded you on that night could suddenly turn around to jeer at you when they watched your music concert the second time. For instance you were so young at that time and for you to experience these two extremes or to see what the Hong Kong audience was like; I think some people after experiencing such setbacks would not be able to recover and from then on they will probably bid farewell to the entertainment circle but in my opinion, the most courageous part of you is that you persevered until today until the audience changed their views about you.

Leslie: Yes, these past few years I don’t have much that deserve self-admiration except this. I think courage is very important. Like you said, there was a period of time where I felt very depressed. I was watching all the others that came after me; my other followers, each one of them was an oncoming force, releasing hits after hits, and here I am with nothing to show for. But I persevered and made it through those years and today in a concert when the name “Cheung Kwok Wing’ is announced, it is not the same response as before. (referring to the applause that night in 1977 at the Asian Amateur singing contest) It is a different kind of response; it is even better, it has that inner substance, because my perception of the audience is they know that Cheung Kwok Wing has substance, Cheung Kwok Wing has something to show the audience in his concerts. This makes me very happy; my joy is greater than ever before. (referring to that night in 1977 at the Asian Amateur singing contest)

Host: I believe if you had experienced the taste of failure before the taste of success, you will appreciate success even more.

Leslie: Yes, yes, that’s not to say there is no pressure now. The pressure is even greater now because if you have experienced failure so many times and these days you are able to…I am referring to myself, these days I am able to reap a little of the fruits of my labor in that each time I appear in concert, the response is very positive, then I would tell myself “Cheung Kwok Wing, you can’t repeat the same performance the next time. You have to keep at being creative and come up with new ideas every time” so the pressure becomes greater but I believe after having gone through all those years, I feel I will be to get over these matters.

LESLIE SONG “I GO MY WAY” STARTS TO PLAY

Host: Do you feel that the Hong Kong audience is hard to please?

Leslie: I think that audiences everywhere are hard to please, not just in Hong Kong. I believe the saying; ‘local ginger is never as strong’ is a factor. (kind of equivalent meaning to the saying in the west that ‘the grass is always greener on the other side’). For example, when I perform stage shows overseas like in Thailand, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, the local audience finds it refreshing possibly because I am from overseas. It’s not like “we see him everyday anyway, sitting around in jeans…”but when you’re outside the feeling is different because you are a foreigner. Currently there is a trend heading towards Japanese singers. Many young students in Hong Kong like Japanese singers and stars, but can you guarantee if one day Masahiko Kondo was stationed here in Hong Kong…., I think he would be in the same boat as us.


Host: But I feel that the phrase “local ginger is not as strong” seems to be an adjective most applicable to Hong Kong. For instance, in U.S. and England, given that they are big countries, I can see that the fans there are very fanatic in supporting their idols, but by the same token, if they don’t fancy the singer, they simply would not attend his concert. They would never attend the concert to watch you; then turn around to boo and jeer at you to show their contempt. I don’t understand why the Hong Kong audience does not support our local singers. I feel that is a very critical point, because if we don’t support our own singers, who else would support them?

Leslie: I am wondering if it has something to do with politics.

Host: Wow, now our discussion is getting too deep.

Leslie: (laughs) We’re getting a bit too serious here, it’s like a current affairs forum. Perhaps the Hong Kong audience is missing the feeling of a sense of “roots”. Even though they are Hong Kongers, they do not know what country they belong to.

Host: I feel that even if we don’t support our local singers the way overseas fans support theirs, it is not right to boo them either. It is really unfair. These past ten years, there have been many singers who got booed. These are singers who are very successful overseas, and their albums sold very well there. Maybe they are simply too popular and the people can’t bear to see a singer being too popular so they feel that they need to bring them down a bit. I think this is something that the Hong Kong music fans really ought to give some thoughts to and reflect upon.

Leslie: Yes. I think as a singer, the most innocent part of it, is you’re singing on your own, I mean if you are not so professional you would not be able to sing at these big events, isn’t this right? For instance, I feel it is most unfair that I individually, with my mouth, eyes, and ears, have to put up with the jeers coming from the eyes, ears, mouths and noses of about 10,000 people in the audience. This is most unreasonable. I feel this is very unfair.

Host: Yes, we are all human beings. The only difference is we play different roles. One is on stage, and the others are off stage.

Leslie: Yes. Yes.

Host: Coming back to your work in the entertainment circle; like you said just then, besides singing, you have also invested a lot of time and efforts in acting. When did you realize you were interested in acting?

Leslie: To be honest, at first I wasn’t too interested in acting because my interest lies more in singing. But the truth is I had to face the reality that back then my singing was not well received by the public. At that time RTV, I have never worked for ATV, I was always with RTV, focused only on making TV drama. They cancelled all their composite programmes and as a singer, what else was there left for me to do? So for a few months, I felt like I was unemployed; the feeling of just getting paid for doing nothing. Then at a later period two producers approached me with “why don’t you try acting in TV drama? Is it okay with you?” and so I said “Okay, why not?’ Then later they told me that I could act, and I said ‘Oh, really?’ They said, ‘why don’t you join our drama group?’ so I said ‘Okay’.

LESLIE SONG “CHAMELEON” STARTS TO PLAY

Host: I think many people who have seen Cheung Kwok Wing’s TV dramas or films will undeniably acknowledge your unique acting skills. You have a very strong screen presence. (Leslie laughs softly in the background). You started out as a singer, which had nothing to do with acting when you took it up until your films received good reviews. I wonder if you had ‘star dreams’ all along when you were young or whether there are some special people for example foreign move stars that you idolized and you want to follow in their footsteps?

Leslie: I’ve never had ‘star dreams’ but I do have idols that I worship especially when I was young, I have always liked to watch movies, especially Western films. Maybe some people might not know this but I like Chinese operas, maybe that’s because my nanny often took me to watch operas when I was growing up. So in Hong Kong my idols are Yam Kim Fai and Pak Suet Sin. As for overseas idols, I have many that I adore and worship, such as Jane Fonda, Robert Redford; I am sure many people like him too, Barbara Streisand, and many other famous high caliber actors. Maybe I’ve watched too many movies when I was young; I think a lot of this has to do with experience. I can also say that the first TV drama I made is very different from the TV drama that I am making today. My own strength in these skills comes with time and experience.

Host: I think most of people will agree with me when I say that watching Leslie act, we feel a sense of “cool”, like James Dean back then.

Leslie: Don’t compare me to someone of that greatness. Perhaps that may have something to do with my personality. Actually I am a person who is cool on the outside but warm inside so this may have some effect when I am making a movie.

Host: Some say you have a melancholy sense. Do you think your experience through those years of setbacks has affected you?

Leslie: Of course, most definitely so.

Host: Is it possible that in your acting, you incorporate a lot of real life experiences in it?

Leslie: It all depends on the type of film. If it is a martial arts theme Kung Fu film, then of course this is not possible. Sometime when making movies…actually the thing I dislike most is this…maybe in my first film I had acted very cool and it was very well-received so after this, the scriptwriter would emphasize this ‘coolness’ every time he writes a script and I end up being typecast in roles that are cool and indignant. Actually I would like to attempt to play a wider range of roles. Luckily later on, I was able to try other types of roles.

Host: Aside from acting, most people often praise your dancing, singing and coordination on stage. You give people something new and refreshing every time. Do you often have to put a lot of efforts into this area?

Leslie: Yes, I do. A lot of times I watch musicals or music programmes. You could also say that the Japanese music business has a significant influence on me. I don’t do this intentionally that is to make myself like a Japanese singer because after all I am a Hong Kong singer so I should not take them to make such a comparison. It is just that they have a lot of gimmick on stage with many creative styles so if I can also do it, sometimes I would borrow some of it as a reference for example ???? show was extremely entertaining. He was very gimmicky, so I will copy some of that and see if I can use it on myself.

ENGLISH / JAPANESE SONG STARTS TO PLAY

Host: Many people feel that most of our local artists do not have their own signature style on stage.

Leslie: Yes.

Host: Many copy from others, like from Michael Jackson, etc. Do you think it has to do with what you said earlier about Hong Kong people not feeling a sense of “roots”? And that’s why our local artists are unable to create their own signature style on stage?

Leslie: Well, you should ask it this way. Why do the overseas stars have their own personal style? That’s because if they are a singer, they don’t have to concern themselves with so many other things, such as acting in TV or films, like the way we do. The truth is there is not enough time to do both. For example, Michael Jackson is not working on anything else this year. His target for this year is to just release one album and some music videos. Now let me ask you, for example, he spent six months to make his album ‘Thriller’, how long does it take us to make ‘Jade Solid Gold’ (Hong Kong music program)?

Host: Half a day.

Leslie: Half a day and that’s considered pretty good. What I am saying is that we do it too fast. So that’s why it is impossible for the overseas artist not to do well. Plus they do a lot of promotion, and they have a large financial backing. The most important thing in showbiz is to have the financial backing, or you just won’t make it. You can make Leslie Cheung a superstar one day if you are willing to invest 10 million dollars on me. Overseas, their return on investment is high so the record company is willing to throw in a lot of money on one singer. That’s why they give us a feeling that they are a ‘superstar’. Plus they have professionals teaching them how to dance, when and where to turn and jump. We don’t have it in Hong Kong so that’s why we imitate them. Hong Kong singers are not so able to set the trend because our market is too small, and the profits that we make aren’t as much. This is right, isn’t it? It’s a fair matter.

Host: Right, I agree. Actually I think Hong Kong is pretty magical, with such a small budget yet we can still transform it into something so big.

Leslie: What we are can be proud of is our entertainment industry which is definitely better than any places that I have been to. It is most certainly better than Thailand, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and any other foreign countries. Of all the countries in Southeast Asia, Hong Kong is the only country that plays second fiddle to Japan. Japan is a truly such big place. If you look on the map, you can see Japan is many times bigger than Hong Kong.

Host: I agree totally.

MICHAEL JACKSON’S SONG ‘BEAT IT’ STARTS TO PLAY

Host: Many people say that the entertainment circle is very materialistic. In the past 7 years, I believe Cheung Kwok Wing has witness its warmth and coldness. Judging from his physical appearance, our impression of Leslie is that of a Casanova. Is this a wrong perception? Or is this really the case? Join us tomorrow to continue our interview with Leslie.

Day 3 of Interview

Host: Strictly speaking, Cheung Kwok Wing is a singer, but it is very surprising that our deepest impressions of Leslie are those of his acting roles in ‘Encore”, “On Trial”, “Teenage Dreamers”, “Drummer”, “The First time”, etc. Sometimes it is strange; is it correct to say ‘destiny makes a man’ but often things don’t turn out the way you plan but as long as we strive ahead with courage, even destiny is no huddle.

Host: Let’s talk about your changes over the last few years; for example we have talked about the audience’s change towards you, how in the beginning there were the sound of jeers that were later transformed to applause and adulation. Aside from the change in your audience, I believe you have worked with many colleagues these past few years, but for the most part, it is probable that you worked with the same bunch of people. During these past years, did you witness any genuineness and phoniness in people? How did they treat you when you were at your lowest point in your career? And do they treat you any different now that you are successful?

Leslie: Yes, definitely. I have seen too much of that. I can’t list each incident down one by one. I don’t want to make my image out to be so sad. There is truth to this phrase, ‘It is a cruel and fickle world’. For example, when I was being booed, no one asked me to do shows, no one asked me to sing at restaurants, and no one asked me to record an album. But now that my albums are selling well, my songs are hits and made it to the billboard, instantly I get offers to make commercials and act in films. In addition, my monetary compensation in both singing and acting has gone up several folds. I don’t blame them because this is the reality of show biz. Once you enter showbiz, you must be prepared for this. I am just very happy that I made it through all those years, and that it didn’t kill me, and I am even more famous than before. I am very happy for all that I have today, because this is my reward and the fruit of my labor and hard work during all those years.

LESLIE’S SONG “SWIMMING UPSTREAM” STARTS TO PLAY

Host: There is a lot of superficiality in showbiz. Like you said it is a cruel and fickle world, so did you make any real friends in all these years?

Leslie: Yes, definitely. For example, while filming for TV and movies I came to know Man Chi Leung. He is a good man as well as a good friend. On the singing side, there is Deannie Yip (aka Yip Tak Han). She is a very nice lady. As for my other friends, please don’t get upset with me for not mentioning your names. As far as I am concerned I feel I have to choose the best out of all my other friends. I think these two are very good people.

Host: Besides your good friends, are there any others in the circle that you admire? Your reason for admiring these people could be twofold; maybe you admire them because they are lovely people that handle matters very well. Secondly, maybe you admire these people because they are capable of doing certain matters.

Leslie: Oh, you are talking about those matters. (Leslie laughs) I think regarding those people, I better not stir up others’ dislike. Yip Tak Han…I will have to say it is Yip Tak Han.

Host: It is still Yip Tak Han?

Leslie: Yip Tak Han. I do admire her very much.

Host: Would you say she is someone that absolutely sticks to her guns?

Leslie: Yes, but actually she is not so suited for showbiz because she is too stubborn; she is too self-centered, but she is very willing to help others.

Host: From what you are saying, people who are suitable for showbiz ought to be those that are very accommodating to the opinions of others and must cater to everyone’s taste at anytime.

Leslie: It’s like a service (laughing)

Host: I think if there were such a person, we would not like him too much. I don’t know, maybe I am just speaking for myself.

Leslie: Unless that person is really good at it, and his mask of superficiality has to be on tight because eventually people will know the truth, right?

Host: Let’s talk about a topic that is closer to home.

Leslie: Yes

Host: Two days ago, I was talking to a friend. He is a long time listener to this program. He grew up in our generation. He is about 23 years old now.

Leslie: So young (laughing)

Host: He started listening to this program at a young age.

Leslie: Okay (laughing)

Host: We talked about a serious topic. A topic that people in Hong Kong is concerned about. And that is the four numbers ‘1997’ (when Hong Kong will be handed over to China). I used to think that only people over 30 years old would be concerned about ‘1997’ and what the future holds. But that’s not the case. Even the younger generation is starting to think about it too. He said he wasn’t sure if he should get married, given that he doesn’t know what would happen 10 plus years from now. He said ‘what if I didn’t get married, and 10 plus years later, everything turned out fine, then I wouldn’t have anything. So he doesn’t know whether he should get married and have kids.

Host: Cheung Kwok Wing, at your age now, have you started to think about these things yet?

Leslie: I have thought about it, but this question is too serious (Leslie laughs). Yes, the four numbers is currently the topic of the day. I do think about what I should do with my assets, or whether I should move overseas but really I have traveled all over and I still feel that Hong Kong is truly a very good place. No matter where I’ve been to, be it the U.S., Canada, Europe or Southeast Asia, I feel that Hong Kong is a very lovely place. It really is. It would be a shame if someone spoils it but if you force me to leave, I really don’t wish to. Actually it is such a small place; like you said, it is a miracle, it is such a small place where you can see everything…the polarization between the rich and poor; it is a place bright with many colors and Hong Kong is also a place that represents so much. I don’t know what I am going to do yet. At the moment I am still gathering opinions from friends. Of course some of them think I should leave because there will be no democracy after the takeover, while others seems to think that I should not worry about it until the time comes. In this area, I am a rather fickle person. I need to gather all the other opinions from the older generation of friends, not the younger generation because they won’t have anything new to tell me. I will ask the elders and people with inner substance for advice on what to do. What I realize I need to do for now is to focus on the present. In the next few years, I will concentrate my efforts to do well at my work. Of course realistically speaking ‘doing well at my work’ means I want to make more money and after I have made more money, then I will give more thought to this problem.

LIONEL RICHIE SONG “HELLO” STARTS TO PLAY

Host: Leslie, you seem to be pretty optimistic about the future.

Leslie: Basically, this is what I mean; I feel that there is no need to be in such a hurry to worry about so many things yet. If you ask me if for this reason I am not going to get married, I would think that is very silly. I really think it is such a silly notion. To marry or not to marry depends on the progress of your love matters. You cannot involve politics with issues such as whether or not you would be getting married or if you are planning to have any children. This is a matter of love, body and soul so politics shouldn’t play a role in it. But I wouldn’t say because of this I am not going to marry.

Host: Have you really thought about, maybe one day in the future, maybe even next year, getting married and settling down?

Leslie: Not so soon. Currently I don’t even have someone to hold hands with. It is not even Tang Wai Sin, or Lam San San. They are my good friends, nothing like what the rumors are saying. I think as for going out on a date, you could be my next partner! Asking you out for a concert or a movie, I think this is very basic socializing.

Host: Do you think in the eyes of the Hong Kong public, let’s not say the Hong Kong people but the general public; that a man at your age, handsome, carefree, with a successful career, and everything seems to be progressing smoothly, should have a woman by his side? Do you think this could be the reason or perhaps this is the image you have given to the public that made them weave so many tales for you?

Leslie: A lot of beautiful dreams. These are called beautiful borrowed dreams. (laughing)

Host: You have to return it.

Leslie: I think about it sometimes. Actually a year or two ago, I did ponder if I should find someone nice to start dating seriously but I feel this is not something I have control over, nor should I be hasty about it.

Host: Frankly speaking, the impression you gave us is truly that of a Casanova.

Leslie: Is this right? (Leslie giggles)

Host: What would the real you be like?

Leslie: The real me is full of affection.

Host: So full that you could handle having several girlfriends?

Leslie: One at a time, that is I am not the type that can manage three at a time like in the TV dramas, that’s ridiculous. That is not something I would do. When I love a person, I will love her with all of my heart and give it all I have. However I can’t guarantee how long I will love this person for, and often I am not the one who falls out of love first. The sad thing is because of our wide exposure outside, so maybe the image of Cheung Kwok Wing they see on screen, in newspapers and magazines is not the same as the Cheung Kwok Wing in private. Some may feel that the Cheung Kwok Wing in private is too ordinary, maybe even more ordinary than the average person, so they may lose interest in me.

Host: laughs

Leslie: Don’t laugh, it is true. I am actually a very ordinary person. After work, even on Sundays I would rather go home and listen to music, sleep, eat and then sleep again. I don’t think many girls can put up with staying home on Sundays with a guy that sleep, eat and listen to music. In that sense, I am pretty tedious. I am not a very sociable person and I don’t really like to socialize much.

Host: Wow! I think the onscreen image of Cheung Kwok Wing is the complete opposite of the real Cheung Kwok Wing.

Leslie: (softly laughs) Perhaps you too have that impression about me, that I am a night owl and entertain a lot? I rarely entertain.

LESLIE’S SONG ‘HOW COULD I HAVE KNOWN’ STARTS TO PLAY

Host: Let’s talk about your work again. These past two years everything has definitely worked out more smoothly for you. I know and can imagine that there must be pressure.

Leslie: Yes

Host: Can you share with us what you would like to work on in the future?

Leslie: Regarding my work in the future, for instance if there are some good directors of course I would like to act in their films but I will be more selective because in the past when working in films, I was too soft-hearted. My biggest flaw is that I am too soft at heart. When some people pat me on the shoulders or some directors treat me a bit nicer I will agree to act in their film. I think I am tougher these days, and will decide whether to accept a movie role based on the quality of the product instead. Even this year I am only going to act in two films, three at the most. In the past, I would act in six movies a year. I don’t think that is going to happen again. And in terms of music, I will choose more suitable songs to sing for everyone. I think the quality of my albums these days are pretty good, so I will keep that up. It won’t be worse than the ones released in the past. Also I want to give praise to my record company, for they have really done a great job.

Host: Sometimes it is hard to not believe in fate. Often it is fate that is in control of your life more than you are in control of your life. You have experienced some low points in your career, and now things are really working out well for you. Are you afraid that one day your career may hit another low point again? I hope it doesn’t happen, but life is always full of ups and downs.

Leslie: I can cope with anything that comes my way. I think after experiencing those earlier years, I can handle whatever comes my way but that is not to say that I am wise enough to predict the future, but I think there is not much that can get in the way of my work.

LESLIE’S SONG ‘WIND CONTINUES TO BLOW’ STARTS TO PLAY

[Thank you, Devoted Fan, for allowing me to post your translation here on my Blog.]

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:05 a.m.

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete