Sunday, January 13, 2008

Lasting Legend - Leslie Cheung (Part 5)

Part 5 from YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yugbJkDgw4&feature=related


Florence Chan: He had never given himself up. After he got this illness, he had persisted and struggled for a long time. But most unfortunate, at the end, this tragedy happened. This was not his decision.

Ti Lung: A tragedy; a tragic persona. Don’t stir up any more unhappy recollection. Let’s only remember the happy moments of him.

[Fans counting down at Avenue of Stars on September 12, 2007, Leslie’s birthday]

Fans: Let’s sing Happy Birthday together.

[Clips of Leslie’s birthday party intertwined with gathering at Avenue of Stars]

Yan: Today is September 12, 2007, we have a birthday party for our most beloved Leslie Cheung. We wish that by means of this birthday party, we may link up all the fans together to continue Gorgor’s spirits, as well as look at video clips that we may not have the chance to see before. Although Gorgor has left us for so many years, in our hearts, he is always with us.

[Song “No Need for More” was played, as well as clip of Wax Museum]

Male Fan from Taiwan: My whole family is his super fans.

Singaporean Fan: In Singapore, I started to like him after watching one of his TV episodes “Gone With the Wind”.

[Song “Going Through Together” was played; screen showing “Old Main Street, Aberdeen”]

Leslie: I hope that all of you will support me on this fundraiser, okay? I can tell you, donations received from these cards will all go to the Kids Cancer Foundation. The proceeds have now reached $600,000 from the first performance to now, i.e. the twentieth performance.

[Clip showing volunteers of Friends of Gorgor visiting elderlies]

Representative of Friends of Gorgor: Because the impression that Gorgor gave us is truth, kindness and beauty. His kindness was well known to everyone because very often at his concerts he would raise money for the cancer foundation. [Clip of Red 1997 Crossover Concert was played]

Rep.: We want to extend his kindness to those who are in need. Apart from the ability to help, we can also broaden our vision.

[China, Dalian]

Ashley Yao: Today, at the Dalian Light Industry Polytechnic University, we are holding the Remembering Leslie Cheung Movie Show. Throughout the year of 2004 in 13 provinces, over 90 movie shows had been held in 20 high schools. I feel that by using this format, we may spread Gorgor’s artistic achievement. I feel that as an actor, his artistic achievement will last forever and stand the test of time. Therefore although he is not here anymore, we will never give up but keep on playing his movies in order to spread his artistic achievement everywhere and generations to come.

Female Chinese Fan: I feel that he was really talented.

Female Chinese Fan: He was very talented and very diligent. He was a role model to us, the university students.

Male Chinese Fan: I do like him. I believe I will try to find out more about his movies.

[Clip of Red 1997 Crossover Concert was played]

Ashley Yao: After he passed away, I felt very regretful because, for example, when I attended his concert in the past, he shouted from the stage asking people to all stand up and dance because theyhad promised him that they would, maybe I was the only one in the whole stadium who remained seated. At that time, I felt that even if I clapped my hands, he might not be able to hear it; and if I screamed, he might not see it, it was meaningless to do so. Now that I think about it, I feel that loving someone you should express it and let him know right away. He had given so much to the world, surely he would love to see some returns wishing that we would express them out right. Besides, he has left us so many things, we cannot merely look at them once. We should help him to let more people know about them.

Florence Chan: These albums were made by Gorgor’s fans in Mainland China. They made them with hearts.

[Showing the albums]

Florence Chan: These were pictures taken when we first met with names of places and people. Some of the pictures were new to me. Here, it was taken on November 26, 2001 when we were watching Elton John’s concert. For me, I couldn’t remember that was taken at Elton John’s concert. They would collect all these memorabilia. Really with a lot of hearts.

Florence Chan: In all these years, there are so many people who love him so dearly, [weeping] have done so much for him.

[Running clips of memorial events]

Florence Chan: I wish that next year (2008) I can produce a memorial concert to remember him. Originally, I was planning to do a memorial concert in the 10th anniversary of his death so that I may probably do it better, but who can tell what will happen in ten years, I don’t know whether I am still alive at that time. I don’t want to leave this world with regrets.

[Clip from “Days of Being Wild” was played. Leslie: Because of you, I will remember that minute. From now on, we are friends of one minute. This is a fact, you can’t take it back.]

Karen Mok looking at her watch, while Leslie was saying [audio clip from his 1985 radio autobiography]: In the future days to come, I will do more things to make you feel that in my artistic life I can give you what you want, because in this showbiz, I will not be staying for too long. I will only work for a while and then retreat. But before the arrival of such a date, I really wish that I can make everyone of you remember me, try not to forget me. I can only say that I am very grateful for your support. Thank you.

[Karen Mok laying a red rose on the floor of the stage.]

-END-

[Special thanks to Jackie for editing]

No comments:

Post a Comment