Monday, November 27, 2006

Chen Kaige's self-critique at the Masters Lecture held in Greece: Seeing the world through the children's eyes






陈凯歌希腊办大师讲座影片自评 : 用孩子的眼光看世界

Source: Sina Entertainment
Date 2006-11-27
From http://ent.sina.com.cn/m/c/2006-11-27/07441344514.html

Translated by Daydreamer on November 27, 2006

(Only the part about Gorgor was translated and posted here)


“Farewell To My Concubine”

I grew up in Beijing. I love this city. Say it more accurately, I loved this city when I was very young; it had modern tall buildings, as well as ancient architecture like the Forbidden City. Unfortunately, in the recent ten years, everything has changed. I live in Beijing, but sometimes I feel very puzzled as to where I am actually living in. You may say Beijing is like New York and Sydney, but where is our old Beijing. Some times I feel sorry because of this. I remember that several years ago I had filmed a movie called “Aged in Ten Minutes” with other directors. I regret that in my heart Beijing in a certain degree has vanished. Actually what has vanished is not merely the old constructions, but our life style. We have changed to another type of people, a type that doesn’t remember their origin anymore. I believe this is a tragedy. Therefore I filmed “Farewell To My Concubine”; I did so not merely to demonstrate the change of the society, but also to show how the life of people was being affected under the influence of the change of the society. I feel the film was made pretty nicely. I feel that Leslie Cheung was not merely a good actor, simultaneously he was a person with extremely good personality. I did not feel that I was working with a movie star. He could express what I asked for; he could express the soul of the character, and most importantly, we possessed the identical dream which is to make a great movie.


“Temptress Moon”

From this movie you may see our human nature. Many people said that this is a very dark movie. This is a movie that reveals the dark side of human beings. The camera shuttles back and forth in the old times, and my heart also shuttles back and forth in the old times. I cannot say that that was the best way to express this movie but I am sure that this was the movie that I wanted to make. A movie director may not necessarily be capable to make each movie a good one. There are ups and downs in everyone’s life, and that’s a fact. That’s the reason why my father told me that I should never give up.


A response by a fans .雨蝶. downloaded from http://bbs.ent.163.com/zhangguorong/169883,0,50,0,40,1.html?userid=

Last week, I watched from YouTube the six segments of Chen Kaige’s interviews, especially the part about his idea of filming the children, my heart ached….


I admire the children because they know nothing about the world, but they have confidence. Having confidence means that they have the ability to trust people, but we don't have …. If you have a pure heart forever, then you may tell yourself that you may continue to make good movies. [said by Chen Kaige]

No comments:

Post a Comment