Saturday, November 11, 2006

My “A Time To Remember”- Director Ye Daying's Response

Director Ye Daying's Response posted in his Blog
on 2006-11-11 09:08:25
http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/4a6c42cf010006rc

Translated by Daydreamer on 2006-11-12

[Note from Daydreamer: Thank you, Director Ye Daying for loving Leslie.]

My “A Time To Remember”

Your responses [to my Blog message] pulled me back to the deepest recollection.

Oh, my God, I just don't expect that there are so many people who still remember so well the lines of “A Time To Remember”!

I also especially love those lines. You posted them back on the blog's response, and when I read them again I felt like reading writing of someone else, and it seems as if the scene when those lines were written was right front of me.

There are certain things that one does not dare to touch so easily, there is recollection that cannot be recalled too often, they will lead us to a state of inexplicable pain, a kind of hidden sorrow in heart. Today, it looks like that our hidden sorrow was not merely of Leslie Cheung, but also of the sadness brought by the story of “A Time To Remember”…..

Frankly speaking, for many years, I didn't dare to dissolutely recall “A Time To Remember”, from the story of the movie to the real world, I didn’t dare to let myself immerse into her [the movie]. I remember that when I studied at the movie institute, I had a desire to tell a love story like this one – a touching and brave story that would fascinate you as well as make you feel heartbroken. A story that would make those who understand her being deeply carried away by her, and tears would fall down quietly, without any noise…..

After “A Time To Remember” was made, I did not know what I should film for a long time. She was a kind of completion, a kind of realization, a kind of pride, a kind of addiction in my heart!

“A Time To Remember” was like a long-forgotten dream that I had made many years ago, and that time I was not even fourteen years old. It felt as if that kind of story could only be told at that age.

Actually, everyone can be a story himself. Leslie's story is so splendid. He did not wait for the ending to come as predestined, instead he came forward and let the story finish earlier. Only this way has made so many people who love him feel so regretful. He is a maestro; he understood the values of sacrifice! As for us, we are to slowly taste and appreciate the story that he left us.

“…. that building was very tall, she stayed in the air for a long time…..”

When we have the chance, let's revisit that scene. We finished that scene in one shot, more than five minutes long without any pause. I remember that after that scene was shot, Leslie was very excited and said to me, “Director, you mustn't edit it!” Afterwards, when editing that part, I did cut it up once. When I think of it now I feel regretful, but how could I know what would happen afterwards?

Let's stop here for now and allow me to answer some of the friends' questions;

Thank you Leslie fan-friends' warm invitation. Because of my work commitment, I don't have time to go and attend your activities, but please believe that when you hold commemorative activities, my heart will be with you.

About the music of “A Time To Remember”, I am setting up a small website with Xu Lei, and I will put my movie music on it. Perhaps if I have the chance, I will invite the friends from Sina to add the music of the theme song.

I am not in Germany. I am right now shooting the TV series “Xian Incident” and I am running about the sets at Xian, Nanking and Beijing.

About Leslie's stills and work pictures of “A Time To Remember”, I will find time to organize them after my present work is over. So please understand.

Once again, thanks for all your responses.

I wish that everyone will remember our deceased friend and face everything that's going to happen today in a good mood!

Link: http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/4a6c42cf010006rc

No comments:

Post a Comment