Thursday, November 09, 2006

I don't belong to the star-chasing clan, but I deeply adore the singer Leslie Cheung

Date: March 31, 2006, 16:55
Source: Sina Entertainment
Author: Yang Lifeng/article (楊麗峰/文)
Translated by: Daydreamer on 2006-11-09


Words from Translator: Dear Yang Lifeng, I enjoyed reading this your article. In order to share it with fan friends who do not read Chinese, I therefore translated it into English. I hope you don’t mind me doing so, otherwise, please let me know.


I don’t belong to the star-chasing clan, but I deeply adore the singer Leslie Cheung.

I adore him, not merely of his songs, but mostly of his spirit to strive constantly for self-improvement.

Those three days in June hit me real hard and my fate was set because I failed my exam. My chance to go to the university has slipped away. Eighteen long years' hard work was all in vain and I could not hold back my tears any more. Having nothing better to do, I aimlessly picked up a cassette tape and started playing it. After I finished listening to one song, I told myself that from now on, I had found my hero in the music world. From that moment, Leslie and his songs became the forever scenery in my heart.

I adore Leslie but I do not have the fanaticism as those who chase after movie stars. I am searching, searching the view of life and values emerged from Leslie, searching the unison of the monologue of his inner world and his outer temperament.

When Leslie appeared on the television screen, looking at his handsome face, brilliant dark eyes, and unruly outfits, as an observer I listened to his songs calmly and quietly. He put in all his feelings and turned them all into musical notes, singing them along with the profound and complicated melody. His deep and grave voice gave out all his deep affection. Standing in front of the screen I wanted to find something deeper from his singing voice.

Although among Leslie’s songs, most of them are sentimental melodies, yet in his mournful notes, one could feel the radiation of his spiritual strength. His songs always reveal to the public his innermost world without any reservation. He sings out the thoughts that I so very much wanted to say but did not know how, stimulating and inspiring me again when I was lost, making me think deeper again when I was confused, and giving me strength to strive again when I have abandoned myself.

Apart from the history about Leslie’s struggles and his songs, I know nothing about him. I did not research about his birthday, English name or hobbies. I adore Leslie. I like his “Bygone Love”, the theme song from “The Chinese Ghost Story”, “Wind Continues to Blow”, “Everything Follows the Wind” …. All his songs touch me deeply, perhaps it is because of the reveal of his true feelings, or perhaps our hearts and souls do echo, thus distinctly trigger the feelings that have hidden deep down in my heart for so long.

From now on, no matter how rough the road ahead of me is, I will merely dry my tears, stand straight and climb over it. I understand, in the days to come, the sail will not be smooth. I adore Leslie’s feelings and his songs have a profound effect on me. The touching feelings that Leslie gives me will forever become the everlasting scenery in my heartstrings. I know well that a feeling that can easily be touched is young and beautiful, because in my heart what will never be burned out is the inexhaustible pursuit, and what will never be refused is the agreement in our frame of mind.

Thank you, Leslie Cheung. Your songs annotate the utmost truthfulness of life, which allow me to understand that one’s melody of life has to be played and sung by oneself ……

Leslie Cheung, my hero, in my heart, you are always so splendid. I believe that one day, my path of life will also be magnificent. I am certain of that.

Yang Lifeng/article (楊麗峰/文)

No comments:

Post a Comment