Wednesday, November 08, 2006

English Version of Extract from Film Director Nakagawa Yosuke’s Official Blog Site – November 20, 2005

This message was downloaded from the Red Forum. It was originally translated by resridaisuki from Japanese to Chinese and is now being translated by Daydreamer, on November 8, 2006 from Chinese to English so that non-Chinese reading fans may enjoy it.

Original article was extracted from the Film Director Nakagawa Yosuke’s official BLOG site: http://blog.livedoor.jp/yoyogi2222/archives/50151785.html


In February 1998, I went to Europe. The film “Blue Fish” which I finished shooting in the preceding year was invited to be presented at the Berlin Film Festival that year.

That year, some excitement finally stirred up at the end of the film festival. The not-so-well-recognized Brazilian film "Central do Brasil" pushed away other big Hollywood and European entertaining films, grabbed the hearts of the film critics and general public, and emerged as a culminating point. I got my ticket and went to watch that film too. It really was an drastic, touching and heart-warming movie.

To tell the truth, the protagonist of this message is not “Central do Brasil”, instead, the actor who attended alone and served on the panel of judges in that year’s film festival is. You may call him the treasure of the cinema world of Asia; no, actually he is the treasure of the international cinema world. He, through his performance in various different movies, brought to the audience happiness, tears and emotion.

That day, he arrived at the cinema alone. Most probably he was there to watch the movie “Central Do Brasil” in order to judge on it. He entered after the cinema turned dark, and left immediately after the movie was finished and before the light was on again. Probably he was trying to avoid any unnecessary friction with the audience.

Many actors and directors arrived at the festival venue accompanied by a large group of crew members, however, when I saw him, he was always alone walking in a stern manner. His body form, even when he was merely walking on the stone pavement of Berlin, was very beautiful, elegant and graceful. He truly is a superstar!

I had been looking forward to seeing his body form at some other film festival again, but this has become a wish that cannot come true any more. However, his excellent acting skill will live eternally in the films and will keep on fascinating the audience. As for the name of this actor, it is Leslie Cheung Kwok Wing.



EXCHANGE OF MESSAGES BETWEEN THE DIRECTOR AND HIS BLOG SITE VISITORS


Below are subsequent messages exchanged between Director Nakagawa Yosuke and visitors to his Blog site:

1. by “East Cloud”

Dear Director (weeping):

I saw the topic about “Leslie Cheung” whom we love very much (of course I like Wang Lee-hom too)

People always said how thoughtful and considerate Leslie was towards the people around him. Now after reading your article about Leslie, I couldn’t help but sighed, he truly was very great.

Although he was a superstar, he was never arrogant. Once you fall for his “beauty”, you cannot extricate yourself as there is no return. No matter what capacity he was in -- as an entertainer or merely as a normal people -- he could always leave such an impression on people.

2. by “Setonia”

It’s really like this! I very much want to read more about “Leslie Cheung”.

3. by “KANO”

For me, I only became a new fan of Leslie Cheung after we lost him. To be able to read articles about him is so valuable and joyful. Thank you, Director.

4. By “USA”

I rushed here after I heard about your article.

Seeing Leslie through your eyes in the way you put it down in your article is precisely the Leslie that I picture him to be in my heart. I was deeply moved.

Although I became his fan only after he passed away, however, from all the works he has left us, I may experience a lot of passion and love.

Even though he is not here any more, and even though I have not seen him in person, his movies however are like a contact medium bringing me to him who is on the other end. The world expanded from the silver screen is infinitely eternal.

5. by “Director” to “His Fans”

Last night, I didn’t know why but what happened in that evening suddenly came back to me, therefore I wanted to write it down.

Because that evening, he was….. it really seems to be rather theatrical, on his own, in a stern manner ….

However, that day also left me another inconceivable impression.

How should I put it? I felt that he was kind of out of tune with that occasion. I felt that he did not care for the type of luxurious and bustling events like the film festivals, therefore he tried to conceal himself. Mmm, it’s a kind of a feeling that cannot be described in words.

6. From “Director” to “Setonia”

If you want to watch his movies, you may start from “Days of Being Wild”, then “Farewell to My Concubine”, and then “He’s a Woman, She’s a Man”. That way, you may appreciate his extremely exquisite performing skill from different angles!

Since I am on the topic, I would like to mention that following “Days of Being Wild” and “In the Mood for Love”, Wong Kar Wai shot “2046” which was the trilogy of his movies about the 60’s Hong Kong. Surprisingly, it proves one thing, that is, no one can ever replace his [Leslie’s] role (although I like this movie pretty much).

7. by “maki”

Director, how are you? In order to understand your movie “Stars in Daylight”, I came to this your Blog.

But now, without much spiritual preparation, I saw the name “Leslie Cheung”. My heart sank and my tears could not be held back.

Leslie was an actor who wouldn’t allow the audience to take their eyes off him. Only seeing him once and we won’t take our sight away from him … he was that kind of actor with charm and power.

However, he also would often make us feel uneasy, just like Yuddy in “Days of Being Wild”, in a helpless, lonely and struggling form, as if he would disappear any minute … Director, you also view him this way.

8. by “Director” to “maki”

Sorry for saddening you so suddenly. Yes, the wound in the heart cannot be healed so easily. Do forgive me.

No comments:

Post a Comment